The staff looking after your child will help you plan for when they are ready to leave hospital.
The length of time people need to stay varies, although the staff will give you some idea of how long you should expect your child to be in hospital.
The staff may need to ask you about your home; for example, how many stairs you have and whether your child has help or support from social services or community health professionals. The aim is to make sure you have all the services you need before you leave hospital.
Your child may be referred to a Community Care Team, which is responsible for providing ongoing care at home.
Before you leave
Before you leave, please make sure you have been told and understand:
- what to expect when you are home
- what to watch out for
- who to call if you have concerns.
You will also need to know:
- what medicines your child is taking
- how and when to get a repeat prescription
- what help you can expect from your local GP, health visitor or paediatric nurse.