Our searchable ward directory contains information about our wards, including contact details, location information, visiting hours, names of key ward staff and what you can or cannot bring onto the ward.
To use the directory simply go to the relevant hospital to see a list of all wards. Then click on the name of the ward to see the detail page for this ward. Alternatively you can use the search to find what you are looking for.
Children's Ward at Queen Mary's Hospital for Children
- Specialisation: Paediatric ward caring for children aged 0-16 years (mixed specialties)
- Location: Queen Mary's Hospital for Children
Telephone number: 020 8296 3035 / 3606
Second floor, Queen Mary's Hospital for Children
Postal address to write to patients
Queen Mary's Hospital for Children
- Matron: Lin McGraw/Julie Stonebridge
- Head of Nursing: Nadine Mitchell
- Ward Manager: Natalie Barham
- Other key staff: Deputy Head of Nursing, Louise Proffitt
- Ward rounds:
Ward rounds are usually consultant-led and start around 9am. All new patients will be seen by a consultant but if you have been in for a number of days you may see a paediatric registrar. If you have been admitted under the care of a specialist consultant (such as surgery or orthopaedic) this is arranged on an individual basis.
- Medicine rounds: Medicine is given at the appropriate time for the child. There are no set medicine rounds.
- Breakfast: 8am - 9am
- Lunch: 12noon (hot meal)
- Dinner: 5pm - 6pm
Cold drinks freely available during the day.
Facilities on the ward
- Number of inpatient beds: 18
- Number of bays: 3
- Number of single bedded rooms: 6 (1 ensuite)
- Single/mixed sex: Children are nursed in bays according to their medical and psychological needs, bays may therefore accommodate boys and girls. It is recognised that children and young people generally prefer to be nursed according to age group.
- Hospedia system available:
Hospedia, our bedside TV, phone and internet service is available at on all beds.
- Other facilities: Three bathrooms, one with a bath, two with showers. Each bed has a Hospedia television which is free between 7am-7pm. The ward has a playroom for children. The ward has various games consoles. There is also a parents’ room with tea and coffee making facilities.
Visiting the ward and restrictions for visitors
- Visiting hours: There are no restrictions to parents/carers visiting but only one parent/carer can stay over night. Other visitors can visit between 10am and 8pm.
- Max visitors per bed: 2
- Mobile phone policy: You may use your mobile phone on the ward but we ask you to keep it on silent or vibrate.
- Other restrictions for visitors:
No under 16's are allowed to visit unaccompanied and no school age children should visit during school hours.
We do not allow photography or filming on the ward for the children's protection and privacy.
Please do not consume or bring alcohol onto the ward.
If you wish to bring electrical equipment onto the ward it needs to be tested by a hospital electrician before use.
Please note that we cannot accept any liability if children bring their own handheld games machines, toys etc.
Restrictions for patients
- Good to know:
Information about your child may be shared on a 'need to know' basis with other healthcare professionals within and outside the hospital. The children's ward achieved a five star rating on the 'Scores on the Doors' food hygiene scheme. The ward has also raised hundreds of pounds for Children In Need and Red Nose Day.