Epsom Hospital serves the southern part of the catchment area and provides an extensive range of inpatient, day and outpatient services.
It has an accident and emergency service with 54,000 attendances per year and undertakes the vast majority of elective (pre-booked) operations at the Trust.
It also undertakes all elective (pre-booked) inpatient surgery within the Trust.
There is an extensive range of diagnostic and supporting services at Epsom Hospital, including pathology, radiology (including CT, MRI and ultrasound) and vascular diagnostic services, and a busy modern purpose-built day care and day surgery unit.
The site includes the Elective Orthopaedic Centre (the EOC) is operated by the Trust in conjunction with neighbouring trusts on a partnership basis from Epsom.
This NHS treatment centre provides orthopaedic services to patients of St George's, Croydon Health Services and Kingston hospitals in addition to patients from Epsom and St Helier.
Finally, the site also includes an acute psychiatric facility operated by Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
History of Epsom Hospital
The first hospital in Epsom was opened in 1873, and was initially known as the Cottage Hospital. The service operated from a converted house in Pembroke Cottages in Pikes Hill and contained just eight beds.
In 1877, the hospital moved to Hawthorne Place. Just two years later, in 1889, a new hospital building was erected to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in Alexandra Road.
During this time, patients were charged between five shillings and 10 shillings, six pence a week, but most of the revenue came from charity.
What is now Epsom Hospital in Dorking Road was built in 1890 under the 'Poor Law guardians'. The Poor Law was the system for the provision of social security in England and Wales until the establishment of the welfare state in the 20th century.
The hospital remained a voluntary organisation, supported by donations, until the NHS was formed in 1948. At this time, the hospital had expanded and housed 40 beds.
In 1988, the Cottage Hospital was moved to new premises in the grounds of West Park Hospital. The previous site was converted into a GP surgery.