Our cancer services department works closely with other teams and services across our hospitals, providing advice and support. This includes: colorectal, upper gastrointestinal, lung, urology, gynaecology, haematology, dermatology, head and neck, and other cancers.
The department plays a key role in ensuring that patients referred to our hospitals with a suspicion of cancer are offered their first appointment within 14 days, and progress along their care pathway in a timely way, ensuring first treatment starts within two months.
Cancer care and treatment
We are absolutely dedicated to providing the best possible treatment to our patients. All cancer patients have their care and treatment discussed by a meeting of experts known as a multidisciplinary team meeting. The cancer services department co-ordinates these meetings and ensures that all the relevant clinical information is available for discussion.
The members of these meetings are all experts in different areas of cancer care, and may travel from different treatment centres to attend. Members of the team can include:
- Oncologists (specialists in chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Palliative care professionals
- Speech and language therapists
- Specialist multidisciplinary team co-ordinators.
At the meeting, the multidisciplinary team will discuss and agree cancer treatments to recommend to the patient for the best prognosis and outcome.
The team can only recommend treatments – patients will always have a choice.
We have lead clinicians for each tumour site. The lead clinician chairs the discussion at the multidisciplinary team meeting, and acts as the point of contact between the co-ordinator and the rest of the team.
- Dr Jaishree Bhosle, lead clinician for lung
- Mr Mike Katesmark, lead clinician for gynaecology
- Mr Sameer Zar, lead clinician for upper gastrointestinal
- Dr Sneha Muthalali, lead clinician for haematology
- Dr Chris Harland, lead clinician for dermatology
- Mr Ashish Gupta, lead clinician for colorectal (lower GI)
- Mr Pieter LeRoux, lead clinician for urology
- Mr Andrew Stewart, lead clinician for head and neck.
- Dr Jonathan Ratoff, clinical lead for cancer services
- Dr Chris Harland, clinical lead for skin cancer
- Mr Mike Katesmark, clinical lead for gynaecological cancer
- Dr Sameer Zar, clinical lead for upper gastrointestinal cancer
- Dr Sneha Muthalali, clinical lead for haematology cancer
- Currently vacant, clinical lead for lung cancer
- Mr Ashish Gupta, clinical lead for colorectal cancer (lower GI)
- Mr Pieter LeRoux, clinical lead for urology cancer
- Vicky Shosanya, Service Manager
Epsom Hospital: Cancer serivces, Block L
St Helier Hospital: Cancer services, F Block
Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
Tel: 01372 735735 x 6475/6651/5470
St Helier Hospital
Tel: 020 8296 3204 / 3202 / 3477