Oral and Maxillofacial surgery for adults and Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery for adults
We are a referral service for dental practitioners and GPs at St Helier Hospital, for adult patients with underlying health issues or problematic extractions, dental phobics or anxieties. This includes extractions, apicectomies and soft tissue mouth biopsy.
We offer local anaesthetic in the department as well as day surgery for sedation and general anaesthesia.
We care for the head and neck (externally), which includes surgery for skin lesions, such as skin cancer.
We work closely with the accident and emergency (A&E) department for trauma, including facial lacerations (torn ragged wound) and fractures of the bones of the face.
We also offer access to orthognathic (jaw) surgery.
Meet the team
Oral Surgery and Maxillofacial Department clinical team
- Mr Andrew Stewart - Head of Department, Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Mr Rahul Jayaram - Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Mr Fabio De Santis, Specialty Doctor, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
- Mr Harjinder Nagah, Specialty Doctor, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
- Ms Vanessa Soares, Specialty Doctor, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
- Ms Ewelina Gierak, Senior Sister, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
- Ms Heidi Barron, Matron, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
- Kate Hartnett, Head of Nursing, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
- Dr Anthony James, Specialty Doctor, Oral and Maxillofacial Department
**Please note we no longer accept paper referrals**
Paediatric Dentistry Department
The paediatric dental department for out-patients is co-located with the oral surgery, maxillofacial surgery and orthodontic departments in the Mackenzie Unit at St Helier Hospital. It provides tier III level care for children from local London boroughs and Surrey. The paediatric dental department works closely with the orthodontic department, for treating patients who require multi-disciplinary care, management of complex malocclusions, impacted teeth and hypodontia.
The out-patient dental department at St Helier hospital comprises 5 dental chairs with access to digital radiography services for both adults and children.
Paediatric Dentistry Department clinical team
Ms Monika Ivanova, Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry
Dr Ami Patel, Specialty Doctor in Paediatric Dentistry
Dr Misha Callow, Specialty Doctor in Paediatric Dentistry
The Orthodontic department for out-patients is co-located with the oral surgery, maxillofacial surgery and paediatric dental departments in the Mackenzie Unit at St Helier Hospital. It provides secondary care orthodontics for children and adults. The Orthodontic department works closely with the paediatric dental, oral surgery and maxillofacial teams for treating patients who require multi-disciplinary care, management of complex malocclusions and facial deformity.
The Orthodontic department at focuses on the diagnosis, treatment planning of secondary care orthodontics for the treatment of complex multi-disciplinary cases at level 3b.
As a hospital orthodontic service, we will be able to accept patients meeting the requirements for Complexity Tier 3b, IOTN greater than 3.6, as well as IOFTN 4 and 5. For your ease and reference, please see below guides for IOTN, IOFTN and the Tier system.
We are accepting electronic referrals only and kindly request that you use the below referral form and return to us electronically, to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Orthodontic referral form (1).docx [docx] 25KB
- An Index of Orthognathic Functional Treatment Need IOFTN (1).pdf [pdf] 340KB
- Ortho referral quick reference sheet (1).pdf [pdf] 351KB
- Orthodontic Complexity Assessment Tool (1).pdf [pdf] 258KB
Ms Sapna Radia Consultant Orthodontist
Miss Sana Luqmani Consultant Orthodontist
Please note all that Oral Surgery, Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontic referrals need to be sent to the following email address: email@example.com