Our Rheumatology department looks after people who suffer from diseases affecting their joints, bones and muscles. The service we offer covers:
- General rheumatology clinics
- Acute back pain management
- Inflammatory arthritis including rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis
- Various auto-immune conditions, such as SLE, scleroderma and polymyositis
- Vasculitic conditions
- Infections of bone, joints and spine.
We are able to prescribe current drugs for managing inflammatory arthritis and osteoporosis. We also have strong links with other departments such as Radiology (x-ray) and immunology to help manage our patients' conditions.
We offer a monthly paediatric rheumatology clinic and a weekly bone clinic for metabolic bone disorders and osteoporosis. Nurse-led clinics support the management of patients with inflammatory arthropathies and those using biologic agents such as TNF alpha therapy and rituximab.
Clinics are provided at both Epsom and St Helier hospitals. We can usually provide urgent appointments if requested by your GP.
- Dr Sanjeev Patel, clinical lead
- Dr Oliver Duke, consultant rheumatologist
- Karen Tweed, clinical nurse specialist, Epsom Hospital
- Josephine Walmsley, clinical nurse specialist, St Helier Hospital
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
Epsom and St Helier hospitals
Tel: 020 8296 2473
Fax: 020 8296 3643
National Arthritis Research (opens in a new window) charity with information sheets on both rheumatological conditions and their treatments.
UK Gout Society (opens in a new window), includes dietary advice sheet.
National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society (opens in a new window), includes downloadable comprehensive exercise guidance.
Outpatient Booking Centre
Our Outpatient Booking Centre makes it easier to book, amend or cancel outpatient appointments at our hospitals.
If you need to make, change or cancel your appointment, please call our Outpatient Booking Centre on 020 8296 2968.
For follow-up appointments, please contact the service directly.