The gastroenterology department deals with all aspects of general gastroenterology (digestive system) and hepatology (liver). This includes outpatient clinics and the management of inpatients.
We carry out endoscopies (a procedure used to examine the interior surfaces of an organ or tissue) at both Epsom and St Helier hospitals, with more complex therapeutic endoscopies, such as ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) and stents, performed at St Helier. The department works closely with the gastrointestinal surgical department and specialist gastrointestinal radiologists.
Services offered include:
- Gastroenterology outpatients
- Virtual clinic where we review patients’ records and results and make management plan without seeing them
- Hepatology - viral hepatitis , non alcoholic fatty liver disease, alcohol related liver disease, primary biliary cholangitis and primary sclerosing cholangitis, liver cirrhosis
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) services
- Liver biopsy
- Therapeutic endoscopy
- Urea breath testing
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Oesophageal manometry
- 24 hour PH testing.
- Capsule Endoscopy
Tel: 01372 735735
Our team consists of nine gastroenterology consultants, plus nurse specialists in endoscopy, viral hepatitis, inflammatory bowel disease and upper and lower gastrointestinal cancer. We also have one full-time consultant in paediatric gastroenterology.
- Dr Pritash Patel, Clinical lead for general gastroenterology and upper GI cancer Epsom General Hospital
- Dr A Guan Lim, Consultant and Division Medical Director for Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust
- Dr Asif Mahmood, Consultant Gastroenterologist and clinical lead for upper GI cancer, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Andras Fenyvesi, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital.
- Dr Simon Moodie, Consultant Gastroenterologist, Epsom General Hospital
- Dr Philippa Youd, Consultant Gastroenterologist, Epsom General Hosppital
- Dr Sameer Zar, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital.
- Dr Irfan Hussani, Locum Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier hospital
- Dr Sanju Mathew, Consultant Gastroenterologist (special interest in hepatology)
- Preeja Kugathasan, Clinical Nurse Specialist (IBD), St Helier Hospital
- Lai Ting Tan, Clinical Nurse Specialist (IBD, Viral Hepatitis, Fibroscan), Epsom General Hospital
- Nova Delos Santos, Clinical Nurse Specialist (IBD, Breath Test), Epsom General Hospital
- Nazira Moore, Clinical Nurse Specialist (viral hepatitis, Fibroscan)
- Service Manager- Luiza Peries
- Assistant Service Manager- Angela McKelvie
8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday
St Helier Hospital
- Dr Howard: Wednesday, 9am-11.45pm,
- Dr Mahmood: Monday, 2pm-5pm, and Tuesday, 3pm-5pm,
- Dr Chan: Tuesday, 3pm-5pm, and Thursday, 2pm-5pm,
- Dr Fenyvesi: Tuesday, 9am-12.30pm. and Friday, 9am-12.30pm,
- Dr Hussaini: Tuesday 9am-12.30pm and Friday 9am-12.30pm
- Dr Mathew: 3rd Wednesday of the month 2 –4 pm
- Dr Lim: Tuesday, 9am-12.30pm and Wednesday, 2pm-5pm, Dr Moodie: Monday, 9am-12.30pm, and Thursday, 2pm-5pm, Dr Patel: Monday 9am-12.30pm and Wednesday 9am-12.30pm, Dr Youd: Tuesday, 9am-12.30pm, and Thursday, 9am-12.30pm, Dr Hussaini; 9am-12.30pm, Epsom Hospital.
- Dr Mathew: 1st Wed of the month 2-4pm
0208 296 2968
Tel: 020 8296 2340
IBD patient helpline
07831120969 (Opening hours- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8am-2pm)
Patient Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
0208 296 2968
Tel: 01372 735129
IBD patient helpline
01372 735363 (opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am-3pm)
Patient Email: email@example.com
We also do prison clinics in Highdown and Downview Prison - referrals from prisons for viral hepatitis go to sister Laiting Tan (clinical nurse specialist, Tel: 01372 735363 or 01372 735129 or email).