The gastroenterology department deals with all aspects of general gastroenterology (digestive system) and hepatology (liver). This includes outpatient clinics and the management of inpatients.
We carry out endoscopies (a procedure used to examine the interior surfaces of an organ or tissue) at both Epsom and St Helier hospitals, with more complex therapeutic endoscopies, such as ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) and stents, performed at St Helier. The department works closely with the gastrointestinal surgical department and specialist gastrointestinal radiologists.
Services offered include:
- Gastroenterology outpatients
- Virtual clinic where we review patients’ records and results and make management plan without seeing them
- Hepatology - viral hepatitis , non alcoholic fatty liver disease, alcohol related liver disease, primary biliary cholangitis and primary sclerosing cholangitis, liver cirrhosis
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) services
- Liver biopsy
- Therapeutic endoscopy
- Urea breath testing
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Oesophageal manometry
- 24 hour PH testing.
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Balloon Enterescopy
Tel: 01372 735735
Our team consists of nine gastroenterology consultants, plus nurse specialists in endoscopy, viral hepatitis, inflammatory bowel disease and upper and lower gastrointestinal cancer. We also have one full-time consultant in paediatric gastroenterology.
- Dr Pritash Patel, Clinical lead for general gastroenterology and upper GI cancer Epsom General Hospital
- Dr A Guan Lim, Consultant and Division Medical Director for Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust
- Dr Asif Mahmood, Consultant Gastroenterologist and clinical lead for upper GI cancer, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Andras Fenyvesi, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital.
- Dr Simon Moodie, Consultant Gastroenterologist, Epsom General Hospital
- Dr Philippa Youd, Consultant Gastroenterologist, Epsom General Hosppital
- Dr Sameer Zar, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital.
- Dr Irfan Hussani, Locum Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier hospital
- Dr Sanju Mathew, Consultant Gastroenterologist (special interest in hepatology)
- Dr Derek Chan, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Vivek Chhaya, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Amir Halim, Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Helier Hospital
- Lai Ting Tan, Clinical Nurse Specialist (IBD, Viral Hepatitis, Fibroscan), Epsom General Hospital
- Preeja Kugathasan, Clinical Nurse Specialist (IBD), St Helier Hospital
- Nova Delos Santos, Clinical Nurse Specialist (IBD, Breath Test), Epsom General Hospital
- Nazira Moore, Clinical Nurse Specialist (viral hepatitis, Fibroscan)
- Maria Angela Fallera - Junior Gastroenterologist Nurse (Fibroscan)
- Service Manager- Luiza Peries
- Assistant Service Manager- DAn Sharpling
8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday
Welcome to the Hepatology department of Epsom and St Helier Hospital. The team comprises of three consultant hepatologists looking after patients with liver disease. Our consultants are supported by our hepatology/viral hepatitis specialist nurses. We run dedicated outpatient clinics for viral hepatitis, autoimmune liver disease, liver cirrhosis, vascular liver disease and alcohol-related liver disease and manage all aspects of metabolic liver disease including non-alcohol fatty liver disease (NAFLD), hereditary haemochromatosis and Wilson's disease. We provide support to the acute and general internal medicine service in the care of inpatients with liver disease.
The hepatology specialist nurses provide fibro scanning within an outpatient setting as an integral part of the liver service.
Meet the Team
The team comprises of three consultant hepatologists looking after patients with liver disease.
Dr Guan Lim
Dr Sanju Mathew
Dr Amir Halim
Clinical Nurse Specialists
Nazira Moore- Based at St Helier Hospital
Laiting Tan- Based at Epsom General Hospital
Our administration team comprises of 4 members of staff, providing support to all our Hepatology and Gastroenterology consultants on each of hospital sites.
Our Administration team are contactable on the below email addresses and contact numbers:
Non Fatty Liver disease: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/
Pancreatic Cancer: https://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/
Wilson’s disease: https://www.wilsonsdisease.org.uk/
Primary Biliary Cholangitis (PBC): https://www.pbcfoundation.org.uk/ https://www.pscsupport.org.uk/
St Helier Hospital
- Dr Howard: Wednesday, 9am-11.45pm,
- Dr Mahmood: Monday, 2pm-5pm, and Tuesday, 3pm-5pm,
- Dr Chan: Tuesday, 3pm-5pm, and Thursday, 2pm-5pm,
- Dr Fenyvesi: Tuesday, 9am-12.30pm. and Friday, 9am-12.30pm,
- Dr Hussaini: Tuesday 9am-12.30pm and Friday 9am-12.30pm
- Dr Mathew: 3rd Wednesday of the month 2 –4 pm
- Dr Lim: Tuesday, 9am-12.30pm and Wednesday, 2pm-5pm
- Dr Moodie: Monday, 9am-12.45pm, and Thursday, 1.30pm-5.15pm
- Dr Patel: Monday 8.30am-11.30am and Wednesday 9am-12.00pm
- Dr Youd: Tuesday, 9am-12.45pm and Thursday, 9am-12.45pm
- Dr Mathew: 1st Wed of the month 2pm-4pm
- Dr Al-Mayahi, Wednesday 9am-5pm
- Dr Vivek Chhaya, Friday 9.15am to 12.15pm
0208 296 2968
Tel: 020 8296 2340
IBD patient helpline
07831120969 (Opening hours- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8am-2pm)
Patient Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
0208 296 2968
Tel: 01372 735129
IBD patient helpline
01372 735363 (opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am-3pm)
Patient Email: email@example.com
We also do prison clinics in Highdown and Downview Prison - referrals from prisons for viral hepatitis go to sister Laiting Tan (clinical nurse specialist, Tel: 01372 735363 or 01372 735129 or email).