Urology is a surgical speciality, covering the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate and reproductive organs.
We provide a comprehensive multidisciplinary service in all aspects of adult urology at Epsom and St Helier hospitals. We have well developed referral links with the Royal Marsden Hospital and St Georges Hospital.
Our team have skills and interests in a number of sub-specialties, including:
- Modern management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) including green light laser prostatectomy
- A comprehensive multidisciplinary prostate cancer service, provided in collaboration with Dr Chris Parker and Mr Chris Ogden from the Royal Marsden Hospital
- A large stone unit providing a comprehensive service involving all aspects of stone treatment including a regional lithotripsy service and laser stone surgery
- Advanced laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery for kidney cancer and benign kidney conditions
- Female urology service including vaginal tape procedures (TVT) and botox bladder injections.
Providing patients with RAPID care (rapid access prostate Imaging and diagnostics)
We have launched a new initiative to make sure patients who have suspected prostate cancer have the necessary tests and check-ups as soon as possible.
The vast majority of people referred to us do not have cancer, but we appreciate that this can be a worrying time, and we want to reach a full diagnosis as soon as is possible. As such, when a GP refers a patient to hospital with a suspected cancer, you will have an appointment within two weeks. You can read more about this service in our Providing Patients With RAPID Prostate Diagnostic Care.pdf leaflet 239KB.
- Green light laser
- Stone laser
- Advanced laparoscopic equipment
Patients with prostate cancer who require prostatectomy will undergo a Da Vinci robotic prostatectom at the Royal Marsden Hosptial.
The department is staffed by five consultant urological surgeons, one locum consultant office urologist, two specialist registrars, two trust registrars, five junior surgical trainees and four foundation year doctors from the St George's Hospital Medical School.
We also have six clinical nurse specialists and a team of ward and clinic nurses who are experienced in the management of urological conditions.
Tel: 01372 73 5154
Fax: 01372 73 5364