Urology is a surgical speciality, covering the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate and reproductive organs.
We provide a comprehensive multidisciplinary service in all aspects of adult urology at Epsom and St Helier hospitals. We have well developed referral links with the Royal Marsden Hospital and St Georges Hospital.
Our team has skills and interests in a number of sub-specialties, including:
- Modern management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) including green light laser prostatectomy
- A comprehensive multidisciplinary prostate cancer service, provided in collaboration with Dr Chris Parker and Mr Declan Cahill from the Royal Marsden Hospital and bladder cancer in collaboration with Mr Rami Issa from St George’s Hospital.
- A large stone unit providing a comprehensive service involving all aspects of stone treatment including a regional lithotripsy service and laser stone surgery
- Advanced laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery for kidney cancer and benign kidney conditions
- Female urology service including peri-urethral bulking, autologous sling, robotic colposuspension and Botox bladder injections.
- Paediatric urology service including surgery for undescended testicles
Providing patients with RAPID care (rapid access prostate Imaging and diagnostics)
We ensure that patients who have suspected prostate cancer have the necessary tests and check-ups as soon as possible.
The vast majority of people referred to us do not have cancer, but we appreciate that this can be a worrying time, and we want to reach a full diagnosis as soon as is possible. As such, when a GP refers a patient to hospital with a suspected cancer, you will have an appointment within two weeks. You can read more about this service in our Providing Patients With RAPID Prostate Diagnostic Care.pdf leaflet 239KB.
Patients with prostate cancer who require prostatectomy will undergo a Da Vinci robotic prostatectomy at the Royal Marsden Hospital.
Our Urology Team
The Clinical Lead for the Department of Urology is Miss Tharani Nitkunan.
The Clinical Director for the service is Mr Roger Walker.
- Mr Clive Charig
- ProfNick Watkin
- Mr Roger Walker
- Mr Pieter Le Roux
- Mr Stephen Gordon
- Miss Deborah Skennerton
- Miss Tharani Nitkunan
- Mr Rami Issa
- Mr Jai Seth
- Mr Ben Horsburgh
- Miss Pareeta Patel
- Miss Kathie Wong
- Mr Philip Brousil
- Mr Richard Deji Akiboye (locum)
- Mr Shahzad Ahmad
We have an excellent team of clinical nurse specialists supporting our services led by advanced nurse practitioners, Easter Espinosa (cancer ANP) and Joanna Cooper (benign ANP).
- Rochelle McDonald
Adanced Nurse Practitioner
- Joanna Cooper
Head of Nursing
- Kate Hartnett
Urology POD (For both sites, based at Epsom)
Tel: 01372 735097
Urology Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist team
Tel: 01372 735199
Urology Benign Clinical Nurse Specialist team
Tel: 01372 735020
Our Urology Centre
Based on the first floor, Wells Wing, Epsom Hospital our Urology Centre (urology investigation unit) provides a purpose built environment providing various outpatient services – flexible cystoscopy (telescope test into bladder), flow rates studies, urodynamic studies, catheter education, Botox procedures and lithotripsy services.
COVID-19 and Urology at Epsom and St Helier Hospitals
Please see our Covid-19 webpages for extensive information on Covid-19 implications.
The British Association of Urological Surgeons BAUS have published the following information: https://www.baus.org.uk/patients/covid19_patient_information.aspx