COVID-19 and Urology at Epsom and St Helier Hospitals
These are challenging times; our trust and department priority is to protect our patients and staff. We are continuing to provide 24/7 emergency urology care. There is also a significant impact on urgent care.
There are major changes to elective and outpatient services in keeping with the government and public health guidance in order to limit people’s exposure and contact with the coronavirus and manage the new challenges being faced by emergency admissions due to Corona virus.
The British Association of Urological Surgeons BAUS have published the following information:
How should I contact the Urology team?
Please be advised that currently the office is staffed but the phone lines may not be answered quickly due to the sheer volume of calls and work involved.
Please try to use the email address for all correspondence: email@example.com
Urology is a surgical speciality, covering the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate and reproductive organs.
We provide a comprehensive multidisciplinary service in all aspects of adult urology at Epsom and St Helier hospitals. We have well developed referral links with the Royal Marsden Hospital and St Georges Hospital.
Our team has skills and interests in a number of sub-specialties, including:
- Modern management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) including green light laser prostatectomy
- A comprehensive multidisciplinary prostate cancer service, provided in collaboration with Dr Chris Parker and Mr Chris Ogden from the Royal Marsden Hospital
- A large stone unit providing a comprehensive service involving all aspects of stone treatment including a regional lithotripsy service and laser stone surgery
- Advanced laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery for kidney cancer and benign kidney conditions
- Female urology service including peri-urethral bulking, autologous sling, robotic colposuspension and Botox bladder injections.
- Be ‘the boss’ of your bladder [pdf] 1MB
- BAUS bladder diary [docx] 131KB
- BAUS flow rate information [docx] 162KB
Providing patients with RAPID care (rapid access prostate Imaging and diagnostics)
We have launched a new initiative to make sure patients who have suspected prostate cancer have the necessary tests and check-ups as soon as possible.
The vast majority of people referred to us do not have cancer, but we appreciate that this can be a worrying time, and we want to reach a full diagnosis as soon as is possible. As such, when a GP refers a patient to hospital with a suspected cancer, you will have an appointment within two weeks. You can read more about this service in our Providing Patients With RAPID Prostate Diagnostic Care.pdf leaflet 239KB.
- Green light laser
- Stone laser
- Advanced laparoscopic equipment
Patients with prostate cancer who require prostatectomy will undergo a Da Vinci robotic prostatectom at the Royal Marsden Hosptial.
Our Urology Team
The Clinical Lead for the Department of Urology is Mr Pieter Le Roux.
The Clinical Director for the service is Mr Roger Walker.
- Mr Clive Charig
- Mr Rami Issa
- Mr Nick Watkin
- Mr Roger Walker
- Mr Pieter Le Roux
- Ms Pareeta Patel
- Ms Tharani Nitkunan
- Mr Ben Horsburgh
- Mr Stephen Gordon
- Mr Philip Brousil
- Charlotte Druce
Urology POD (For both sites, based at Epsom)
Tel: 01372 735097