The Diabetes Specialists team provides a comprehensive, multidisciplinary diabetes service, which is based in a purpose-built diabetes centres, Doreen Kouba Diabetic Centre at St Helier Hospital and John Kilner Diabetes Unit at Epsom Hospital.
We provide an accredited structured educational programme for people with Type 1 diabetes. Educational sessions are delivered both individually and in groups at the diabetes centre. We also provide refresher courses in carbohydrate counting.
We have full range of specialist clinics where we provide comprehensive and joint-up assessment of people with diabetes. We work with other specialists to deliver multidisciplinary care in most of these clinics:
- Pre-conception reviews
- Diabetes in Pregnancy (including technology)
- Diabetes in young people (19-25 year old)
- Transition clinic for 16-18 year old
- Specialist Type 1 (including technology)
- Insulin Pump clinic
- Diabetes and Renal
- Vascular and specialist foot services
- Type 1 structured education (BERTIE)
- Carb-Counting refresher courses
- Clinical Psychology
We run Specialist Nurse-led and Dietitian-led clinics to help with blood glucose control, continuous glucose monitoring, and initiation or intensification of insulin treatment regimens.
We offer an insulin pump therapy service, which is delivered by a fully trained multidisciplinary team.
We have highly experienced and integrated team of Diabetes Specialist Consultants, Nurses, Dietitians, Podiatrists and Clinical Psychologist. We work closely with other Clinicians who have specialist interest in Diabetes, including Obstetricians, Renal, Ophthalmologists, Orthopaedic and Vascular Surgeons. We also have a dedicated Obstetric Diabetes Dietitian.
We work collaboratively with the staff in Diabetes Specialist Community Services in Sutton Health & Care and Surrey Downs Health & Care.
- Dr Imran Malik – Clinical Lead, Consultant Diabetes and Endocrinologist, Epsom & St Helier Hospital
- Dr Steve Hyer – Consultant Diabetes and Endocrinologist, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Mamta Joshi – Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Giuseppe Maltese – Consultant Diabetes and Endocrinologist, St Helier Hospital
- Dr Ratnasingham Nithiyananthan – Consultant Diabetes and Endocrinologist, Epsom Hospital
- Dr Colin Sinclaire – Consultant Acute Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrinologist
- Dr Mark Sutton-Smith – Consultant Acute Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrinologist.
Mrs Bianca Teagle
John Kilner Diabetes Unit, 2nd floor Bradbury Wing, Epsom Hospital
Doreen Kouba Diabetes Centre, 1st floor, Ferguson House, St Helier Hospital
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
St Helier Hospital
Tel: 020 8296 2563
Tel: 01372 735 444
For urgent advice
Call 020 8296 2000 and ask for the specialist registrar in Endocrinology
(Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm)
Out of hours
Call 020 8296 2000 and ask for the duty medical registrar
Referrals can be made through eRS - see referring to our services for more information.
Urgent referrals to the diabetes team, both outpatient and inpatient, are seen on the same day where possible. We provide daily inpatient care by the Diabetes Specialist Nurses for people admitted with emergencies in diabetes and a weekly Consultant-led Diabetes ward round across both hospitals.