Urogynaecology and pelvic floor dysfunction service
Our urogynaecology and childbirth injury service works with women who have:
- Problems with incontinence of urine
- Prolapse of the vagina or uterus
- Pain in the bladder, water pipe or the vagina
- Recurrent or repeated urinary infections or cystitis
- Had a traumatic child birth and need further care afterwards.
We offer a range of investigations, including ultrasound and urodynamics as well as conservative, medical and surgical treatments including keyhole, outpatient, vaginal and abdominal techniques.
In addition to the services listed above, we care for women with more complex problems such as those who have been previously treated for these conditions, previously had surgery, as well as women who have more than one pelvic floor conditions.
We also manage women who have other disorders that affect the urinary system such as multiple sclerosis, Ehlers Danlos syndrome and fibromyalgia. We also work with other colleagues in gynaecology to manage women with chronic pelvic pain, and manage women with urethral, vaginal and bladder pain syndromes.
Childbirth injury service
Childbirth should be a happy event for a woman and her partner that usually goes smoothly. Unfortunately a small number of women find their delivery to be traumatic and need further care afterwards. The childbirth injury service is there for these women. It incorporates an antenatal service for women that have previously sustained physical injury to manage subsequent pregnancies, as well as a comprehensive postnatal service including assessment of women who have suffered from trauma to the anal sphincter, including endoanal ultrasound and manometry to assess anal sphincter function.
As part of the service, we have a midwifery counsellor, who can work with you to address any emotional trauma, and a specialist women’s health physiotherapist to promote long term pelvic floor health as well as offer treatments such as biofeedback.
Our Urogynaecology service includes three accredited subspecialist urogynaecologists, Mr Demetri Panayi, who leads the urogynaecology service, Miss Zainab Khan and Mr Stergios Doumouchtsis. Specialist nurses, gynaecology nurses, midwives and dedicated administrative support complete the team.
We offer a service that, above all, puts the patient first, and provides a comprehensive multidisciplinary service that caters for all patients.
- Mr Demetri C Panayi, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, subspecialist Urogynaecologist (lead)
- Miss Zainab Khan, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, subspecialist Urogynaecologist
- Mr Stergios Doumouchtsis, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, subspecialist Urogynaecologist
- Hannah Deguara, Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Joanna Cooper, Urology Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Wendy Weatheritt, Women’s Health Physiotherapist
- Chris Moverley, Gynaecology Outpatient Sister
- Hannah Deguara, Gynaecology Outpatient Nurse
- Maggie George, Midwifery Counsellor
- Gaynor Lewis, Patient Pathway Co-ordinator
Tel: 020 8296 2954