Diabetes (paediatric and adolescent)
This service is based at both Epsom Hospital and at Queen Mary's Hospital for Children – our dedicated paediatric hospital based at St Helier.
We manage all types of diabetes in children and young people through education and running an insulin pump service.
We offer regular structured education on all aspects of diabetes care for children and young people, both on an individual basis and a group setting, as well as home and school visits to educate children and young people with diabetes and their family and carers, including school staff. The multidisciplinary team includes consultants, specialist nurses, dietitians and psychologists (to find out more about clinical psychology, please visit the Paediatric clinical psychology section of the website).
We run an insulin pump service, both initiating the pump and ongoing care and monitoring. The pump service is run by certified pump trainers.
We have continuous glucose monitor system (CGMS) available for diagnostic and therapeutic need.
Location and opening hours
Outpatient clinics are held in the paediatric outpatient department at each both hospitals.
Queen Mary's Hospital for Children (QMHC)
The outpatients department is located on the ground floor. Weekly clinics on Tuesday afternoon, Thursday morning and Friday morning.
The paediatrics outpatients department is located on the ground floor of the maternity unit. Weekly clinics on Monday afternoon and 1st and 4th Wednesday morning of each month.
QMHC: 020 8296 3021
Epsom Hospital: 01372 73 5365
Paediatric diabetic nurse specialist (QMHC)
Tel: 020 8296 3071
Send an email
Paediatric diabetic nurse specialist (Epsom Hospital)
Tel: 01372 73 5443
Send an email
Out-of-hours emergency advice
Contact the paediatric registrar on-call via switchboard:
- QMHC: 020 8296 2000, bleep 197
- Epsom Hospital: 01372 735735, bleep 762.
- Guidelines for use of Glucagon[pdf] 292KB
- How to use fast-acting insulin[pdf] 220KB
- Managing diabetes during illness[pdf] 221KB
- Diabetes UK (opens in a new window)
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (opens in a new window)
- Association of Children's Diabetes Clinicians (ACDC) (opens in a new window)
Queen Mary’s Hospital for Children
- Dr Aileen Alston, Consultant Paediatrician
- Teresa Hatcher, Paediatric Diabetic Nurse Specialist
- Camille Roddam, Paediatric Diabetic Nurse Specialist
- Katie Cole, Paediatric Diabetes Nurse Specialist
- Sandra Wooller, Paediatric Dietitian
- Tara Randall, Paediatric Dietitian
- Sara Bentwood, Clinical Psychologist
- Dr Tim Marr, Consultant Paediatrician
- Lorraine Laccohee, Paediatric Diabetes Nurse Specialist
- Nicola Ward, Paediatric Diabetes Nurse Specialist
- Clare Thornton-Wood, Paediatric Dietitian
- Marie Hanson, Clinical Psychologist